2011年5月13日金曜日

A Good site

Steenhuysen, Julie. "Tax soda, pizza to cut obesity, researchers say." 8 Mar 2011: n. pag. Web. 12 May 2011. <http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/03/08/us-food-tax-idUSTRE6275T720100308>.


This is an article that was on Reuters, an online news website. It talks about how researchers claim that taxing is actually effective on obese, by giving statistics and the results of their research. I thought this would be grouped as a "good" site, because the authority is trustworthy, not only is it from a news website, but also there are results given from a researcher who writes in the journal Archives of Internal Medicine.

3 件のコメント:

  1. I thought this article gave a lot of good information, and it is very useful too.
    I didn't know that there was a controversey in taxing on junk food. In my opinion, taxing on junk food won't help by a lot, because I think obese people would still want to eat them.

    返信削除
  2. You provide very good reasons for considering the Reuters' article to be trustworthy. The fact that they cited an authoritative source (The Archives of Internal Medicine) for their reporting, helps a lot to establish dependability.

    返信削除
  3. I'd like to comment on the opinion that Shizuka expresses, above. She doesn't think that taxing junk food would help to decrease obesity because overweight people would still want to eat junk food. One thing that she might not consider is that many children buy junk food with a limited amount of money that their parents give to them. Therefore, it's possible that kids would, by necessity, cut down on their consumption of fast food if prices were raised. I think the taxation of another unhealthy product, cigarettes, is relevant here. The internal documents of a cigarette company,RJ Reynolds, showed that "If prices were 10% higher, 12-17 incidence [youth smoking] would be 11.9% lower [see www.tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0146.pdf .] Therefore, I think a junk food tax may make a difference.

    返信削除